Time to apply to summer Math Camps
- San Jose State is offering AwesomeMath June 19-July 1. (see: http://sanjosemathcircle.org/handouts/2016-2017/20170208_Awesomemath_SJS... ).
- Idea Math in Cupertino is for students in grades 6-12. (see: http://www.ideamath.org/summerprog.htm)
- MathPath is a famous summer camp for students age 11-14 (see: http://mathpath.org).
- Mathcamp is another summer camp for high school students (see http://mathcamp.org).
2016 - 2017
The following schedule shows who will be leading the circle on a given day.
|September 21||Tatiana Shubin||Decanting problem (AKA Euclidean Algorithm)|
|September 28||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics I|
|October 05||Matt Lee||Fractions and Decimals: Lambert, Gauss, and Beyond|
|October 12||Zvezda Stankova||Proofs and How to Write Them|
|October 19||Frank Sottile||Cardano and the Cubic|
|October 21||BAMA at SJSU: Brian Conrey||Randomness in the Prime Numbers||Handout for Brian Conrey 2016-10-21|
|October 26||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics II|
|November 02||Paul Zeitz and guests||Russian-style math circle||Homework problems|
|November 09||BAMA at SCU: Martin Weissman||The Secret Lives of Fractions||BAMA 2 2016 Secret Lives of Fractions|
|November 16||Tom Davis||Matrices and Probability|
|November 30||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics III|
|December 07||BAMA at SJSU: Jordan Schettler||Number Theory and Music||BAMA 3 Number Theory and Music|
|December 14||Pratima Karpe||Exploration of the game SET|
|December 21||Maria Yershov||Pigeonhole Principle|
|January 04||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics IV|
|January 11||Bogdan Suceava||3D Geometry and geometric problem solving||In class problems|
|January 18||Tatiana Shubin||Problem Solving: Counting, Geometry, Algebra||Problems for 2017-01-18|
|January 25||Lucian Sega||Pythagorean Triples|
|February 01||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics V|
|February 03||BAMA at SCU: John Sullivan||Soap Bubbles and Polyhedra||BAMA 4 Soap Bubbles and Polyhedra|
|February 08||Lucian Sega||Mathematical Induction|
|February 15||Karl Schaffer||Polyhedra on a Shoestring|
|February 22||Tom Davis||BAMO Prep|
|March 01||Tom Davis||BAMO Aftermath|
|March 03||BAMA at SCU: Jeffery Hoffstein||Public Key Cryptography||BAMA 5 summary of talk and directions|
|March 08||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics VI|
|March 15||Tom Davis||An Introduction to Group Theory|
|March 22||Yul Inn||Tournaments on Directed Graphs I|
|March 29||Yul Inn||Tournaments on Directed Graphs II|
|April 05||BAMA at SJSU: Robert Megginson||Got Math? We did, Long Before Europeans Arrived!||BAMA 6 Summary of talk and directions|
|April 12||Ted Alper||TBD|
|April 19||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics VII|
|April 26||Tom Freeman||Mathematics of Perspective Drawing|
|May 03||Josh Zucker||Combinatorics VIII|
- Some topics have not yet been decided, hence the "TBD" = "To Be Determined".
- The dark red dates are BAMA talks so there will be no SJMC meeting.
- SJMC meetings take place regularly on Wednesdays, in MH-320 at SJSU, from 7:00PM to 9:00PM, see directions.
- If you'd like to see your name on this schedule page, as a leader of a circle session, contact us!
- Handouts of past meetings will be posted as we receive them. If you have past handouts that you don't see here, please let us know.
- Read more about Russian-style circles.